First I’m going to start by saying, last night’s Grammys show was a long one. It wasn’t perfect but it didn’t need to be. James Cordon did a good job as host and I honestly wasn’t sure when he started with his entrance, if it was for real or not. And then he rolled down the stairs removing all doubt that this was a bit.
There were many great moments throughout the night and I’m going to give you my top five favourite things that happened on the Grammys.
1. Chance The Rapper was joined by Kirk Franklin, Francis and the Lights, Tamela Mann, and a huge gospel choir giving us a heart felt performance that left me moved.
Nominated for seven awards including Best Rap Album for Coloring Book which beat out albums by Kanye, Drake, and De La Soul. A change to the rules last year made Coloring Book eligible as a streaming only entry. Chance also picked up
Best Rap Performance for No Problem, and Best New Artist.
2. Twenty One Pilots collect their Grammy wearing no pants. For all the artists who remember where they came from, the boys took it to another level.
3. In what might be, quite possibly the most political statement on the Grammy stage, the legendary hip-hop act A Tribe Called Quest teamed up with Anderson .Paak (and Busta Rhymes and Consequence) to give us some classics, Can I Kick It? and Award Tour and some new material, Movin Backwards and We the People. Energy filled and straight to the point with their statement on the failed Muslim ban from “President Agent Orange”. To emphasize their point, groups of people of many ethnicities were brought up onto the Grammy stage, ending the performance with Q-Tip shouting “resist!”, their message is clear.
4. And in the “Performance That Made Me Cry” category, John Legend and Cynthia Erivo singing The Beach Boys, God Only Knows during the In Memoriam portion. They delivered a moving version of the song which perfectly framed the long list of people we lost in the last year.
5. Adele for so many things! Her opening performance, her George Michael start and stop, her acceptance speeches and so much more! Even with an on air curse, she’s a classy lady and I love her.
In the honourary mentions category:
Kelsea Ballerini and Lukas Graham performing a mashup of Peter Pan and 7 Years. I’ve read that some people didn’t get it, I’m not in that camp. I loved this performance and thought they blended the two songs beautifully.
Metallica and Lady Gaga it was interesting and fun! I wouldn’t want to be the person who was responsible for James’ mic failure.
Did I miss your favourite? Tells us about it.